From the Foreword of Fish!:
Loving What You Do
![]() |
| Ranger Petrucci - who always seems to be doing what he loves and loving what he does! |
“It is fashionable today to believe that we should not
settle for anything less than doing what we love. Write poetry, travel the
world on a sailboat, paint – do whatever you love, and the money will follow.
We tell ourselves that life is too short to spend our working hours doing
anything less than the ideal, and we continue our search for the perfect
workplace. The danger is that if our quest for ideal work focuses us on the
future, we will miss the amazingly wonderful life that is available today, in
this moment.
The fact is that in the real world there are conditions
which prevent us from chasing the perfect, ideal job. Many of us have
significant responsibilities to family members or to a way of life. For others,
a true calling hasn’t made itself visible yet. Some of us are under so much
stress in our personal lives there is literally no time or energy to seek a new
line of work.
Fish! Is a
parable, an invented story about finding the deep source of energy, creativity,
and passion that exists inside each of us by learning to love what we do, even
if at the moment we may not be doing what we love.” – by Ken Blanchard
The passage above seemed to describe many of the challenges that I
faced in both personal and professional life since even before working full
time with the Park Service. In both high school and college, I thought I knew what
I wanted to do. I majored in Psychology and got my teaching certificate in
Elementary Education. After a few very rude real-world awakenings, I came to
realize that Elementary Education was absolutely not what I loved, and that I
didn’t have much hope for a future in the field of Psychology without an
advanced degree. I had spent all of my high school summers and many of my
college summers working at Cunningham Falls State Park, so when a full time
position opened I decided it might be worth a try to get an interview. I
received notice that I was best qualified for the position, had the interview
and called my family crying immediately after the interview was over – I was
positive I hadn’t gotten the job. However, several weeks later I got a call saying that I was
being offered a full time position!
While I wasn’t entirely sure how it had happened, I knew
that it was my only option at the time for a stable job. I accepted the
position and began working at Seneca Creek State Park. For the first few months
(okay, it was years), I was still looking for employment somewhere else – in another
job that I thought I would love more than the one I was in. I was looking for
perfection in a work environment rather than trying to change my attitude
toward my work. According to Ken Blanchard’s writing from the passage above,
this is dangerous! “...If our quest for ideal work focuses us on the future, we
will miss the amazingly wonderful life that is available today, in this moment.”
![]() |
| Ranger Ledbetter focusing on what's available "in this moment." |
Looking back on my first few years as a full time employee
with MPS, I realize just how much more I could have accomplished and how much
happier I could have been if I had been focused on fostering a positive
attitude in the workplace rather than dwelling on the thought that I was just
doing the work until I found a job that I loved. I spent hours of time in my
personal life looking for new jobs when I could have spent that time learning a
new hobby or just enjoying more time with family and friends. The time that I wasted complaining about the negative aspects of the job could have been used to build stronger friendships and happier memories with my coworkers.
As far as I am aware, there is no “perfect” job that allows
you to do only what you want to do, when you want to do it. There are parts of
every position that may fall short of our expectations, but if we take the time
to focus on the positive more than the negative and to construct a workplace we
thrive in rather than expecting others to do so for us, then we might just
succeed in creating a work environment that we love.



Thanks for this Bethany--these are very useful words of wisdom in our line of work!
ReplyDelete