Why You Should Get Bored More Often by Ozan VarolAs researcher and philosophy professor Andreas Elpidorou explains in a psychology journal article, "In the absence of boredom, one would remain trapped in unfulfilling situations, and miss out on many emotionally, cognitively, and socially rewarding experiences. Boredom is both a warning that we are not doing what we want to be doing and a 'push' that motivates us to switch goals and projects."
These days with technology at our fingertips, we seem to find more and easier ways to avoid being bored. This could lead to us ignoring some of the most important thoughts and ideas that would have come about if given the opportunity. Even within parks where the sounds of birds, trees, and water should encourage relaxation and mindfulness, I frequently see visitors taking a hike in the middle of nowhere with music blasting from a phone or speaker. In nature and especially in this time where it seems like negative news is being shown in every form of media, I think it's time to take a few minutes of "boredom" a day to listen to those thoughts we've been avoiding.

No, I'm not encouraging you to not do work... BUT, with the cancellation of many after-work activities, I hope this concept provides you with the encouraging thought that by simply letting your mind wander, you may actually be fostering creativity that can be used when we begin to resume normal activities.
Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, and boring few weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment