COVID-19 has given many of us the opportunity (or obligation) to use technology to complete a large percentage of our work. Perhaps I'm the only one struggling with this, but I think my use of the computer and phone to do almost everything, every day, has started to show in my attention span. I have a hard time focusing as long on tasks and struggle to be present when I have a million online interactions each day. This could also be due to the background noise in my house some days, but I digress...
Whatever the reason, I came across a magazine article recently called "How to Live In the Moment." I didn't think much of it at first because I'm sure we've all heard plenty of tips on how to be present in our everyday lives. Then I saw the first tip - Count on Nature - and thought the article might be worth a look after all. A few of the tips are summarized below:
- Count on nature
- This isn't just going for a walk or being in nature, but taking some time to count with your senses. For example, what is one thing you can see? Two things you can hear? Three things you can smell? Four things you can touch? Be careful with tasting things in nature, though! I tried this yesterday and found that it gave me just enough of a "brain break" to stay focused without letting my mind drift.
- Try single-tasking
- We all multi-task frequently, especially when we leave up email/text message/phone notifications while we work. Our focus is rarely fully on the task at hand. Try turning off all notification sounds or even leaving the phone somewhere else for an hour at a time so your attention is completely on what you are doing. The work may get done faster with this trick!
- Savor the first few bites
- In the past few years, I've become a very fast eater. This tip suggests that rather than rushing through a meal, take a few minutes to appreciate the first few bites. Taking just a few seconds to stay in tune with the senses that we don't always relish (pun intended) helps us slow down a little so things aren't such a blur.
- Turn an everyday activity into a meditation
- An example from the article is washing dishes. Instead of rushing through to get the job done, think about the slippery sensation of the soap on your hands and the water running through your fingers. This should help push any stressful feelings away for at least a few minutes!


No comments:
Post a Comment