Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2021

A Pandemic Year Podcast and Book Recommendation

A Year in a Pandemic


I recently had the pleasure of listening to an episode of the "On Being" podcast that discussed the mind-body experience of what it has been like living for over a year in the high stress, high risk environment during a pandemic. I really appreciated the discussion between the host and the guest, Christine Runyun, a clinical psychologist, because it gave a voice and language to a lot of the feeling and struggles that I have had personally, or witnessed in family and friends, over the past year. This is less than an hour; but, I think it is well worth the time because it gave me a chance to reflect on this roller coaster of a year in the context of neuroscience. I have finally accepted the fact that I never did make sourdough bread during quarantine. In fact, I didn't do much.

“...whoever you are, whatever you are feeling, of course — of course, you are feeling that; look at our current conditions, and that it’s a normal response to incredibly unfamiliar, unusual, unpredictable, uncontrollable circumstances."

 -Christine Runyun

 On Being Podcast

Another resource I have recently discovered is the Libby App. You can download kindle books and audio books with this app for free using your local library account. One of my favorite books I have listened to recent is "Make Your Bed" by U.S. Navy Admiral William H. McRaven. This audio book is just short of two hours; but, it is full of positive advice and stories gleaned from Admiral McRaven's 30 years of service in the United States Navy. His advice is easy and his experiences training to be a Navy Seal were inspiring and funny. 

Mostly though, I can attest that his advice is correct. Every morning that I manage to make my bed, I now take a moment to think; if nothing else goes right today, I did make my bed, and that is something. I can also attest that it is nice to come home to a made bed, and to be reminded of this one success even if the rest of my day was a disaster. I absolutely recommend this book. 

Keep Learning!

-Ranger Maria Reusing


No comments:

Post a Comment