Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Favorite Park Place

As we dive into the summer season and the days get hotter, the parks get more crowded, and the people get grouchier (just me?), it's time to hit the brakes on all the "extra". Yes, the vast majority of what we do in our jobs is essential for a park to operate smoothly, but if there's even one simple thing that can wait until the crowds have dispersed, this is the time to put that part of the job on hold. If you're someone who needs to fill every second of the work day in order to feel productive, make sure you have an enjoyable assignment, even if it is just for 10 minutes a day. 

We often hear about "finding your spot" in the park. A place that brings you joy and relaxation, typically away from the crowds. While it may be more difficult to get to your favorite park place over the summer, try to aim for 10 minutes each day in a place that invites calm. While I was working at Seneca, I took a little time each day to listen to music while I painted routed signs. That activity brought some peace to my day and took me away from the busy boat center when I needed a few minutes to breathe (or get out of the 90 degree heat and humidity). Other times I took a quick walk in the park to a place that was not well known to park visitors but was beautiful and peaceful. After traveling from park to park with the training division and seeing all of the amazing things each park has to offer, I've come to realize that I don't know many of the favorite park places that others have, so...

Your assignment from this blog post is to take 10 minutes sometime in the next month. Go to your favorite park place and snap a picture. Post the picture in the comments section of the blog or email it directly to me (bethany.watts@maryland.gov) with a description of where in the park it is. I'll post all of the images in a mid-summer blog post. If you'd prefer to keep the exact location a secret that's fine! I'm sure others will enjoy guessing where the "secret spots" can be found. Yes, I realize Memorial Day is right around the corner. That makes this the perfect assignment to get out and enjoy the best your park has to offer, even while dealing with some of the most challenging times. Happy snapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment