The 2023 Mentoring Program met at Seneca Creek State Park this past week to focus on change and resiliency. In that light, Acting Superintendent/Director, Ranger Angela Crenshaw of the Maryland Park Service shared a few words on the topic, and wanted to share with staff members across the field as it applies to us all.
Words from MPS Leadership
The topic for this session is change and resiliency. As you know the last few months with the Maryland Park Service have been tumultuous. Let me tell you a little about my journey to becoming your Acting Superintendent. In February, I was asked to give Governor Wes Moore and his team a guided tour of Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park’s exhibit hall after an important archaeological announcement was made. I was given 10-minutes to do what is normally a 45 to 60-minute tour and those that know me, know I can Talk Tubman for hours. I had my tour planned out to the minute until Governor Moore started his remarks with a familiar call and response based in the African American church. In that instant, my entire tour changed. I chose to spend time discussing Harriet’s faith and spirituality even though I had not planned to do so. During the tour, the Governor connected with Harriet’s religious roots and we had a lovely moment as two spiritual people. This moment was not lost on the five Department heads, including Secretary Kurtz, who also participated in my guided tour. Fast forward a month and some change and Secretary Kurtz calls me to discuss the future of the Maryland Park Service. During this call he offered me the role of Acting Superintendent. I recall that moment vividly, because my Grandmother, who is also my namesake, had just passed away. But before she moved on, she gave me her Sheriff’s Deputy name tag, which is very similar to our ranger name tags. I was looking at her name, engraved in brass with tears in my eyes and had to say yes to this life changing offer.
I am very aware of the reason I am your Acting Superintendent. I’ve taken great pride in moving the Maryland Park Service forward after some very tragic events. Over the last few months, I have managed a lot of change. You all have endured a lot of change. This makes us resilient.
My personal definition of resiliency is a type of flexibility, using what you have now to get what you need. This definition is best illustrated by a titan of African American history, Frederick Douglass. In 1818, Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey was born on a horseshoe bend of Tuckahoe Creek, not far from our very own Tuckahoe State Park on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. He was born into the system of American Slavery and did not receive any formal education as a child. When he was about 9-years old he was sent to live and work in Baltimore’s Fells Point. His young mind craved knowledge but he was forbidden from receiving an education by his enslaver. So, young Frederick devised a plan. He made friends with the young boys in his neighborhood and always had homemade bread and a book when he was sent on his errands. He would share his bread and in exchange the young boys would read to him and teach him. Of this experience he said, “This bread I used to bestow upon the hungry little urchins, who in return, would give me that more valuable bread of knowledge.” He made the kids in his neighborhood his teachers. He used what he had, bread, to get what he needed, reading lessons. The thought that Frederick Douglass traded biscuits for letters on the streets of my city, Baltimore, is the basis of my definition of resiliency. It lifts me up every day of my Acting Superintendent journey.
I am appreciative of each and everyone one of you. You are here because you want to better yourselves as mentees or mentors and for that I am thankful. Thank you all for your time and energy and congratulations on being resilient members of the Maryland Park Service team.
No comments:
Post a Comment